(WASHINGTON) -- In the aftermath of its faulty ignition switches, General Motors is doing more than its share of work to compensate crash victims and their families, CEO Mary Barra told reporters Wednesday after testifying at a hearing on Capitol Hill.
“I think we’re going above and beyond,” Barra said, echoing a comment she made during the hearing. “I’m incredibly proud of what we’re doing.”
Earlier in the day, the families of victims held a press conference to demand that GM do more. GM has not yet announced a total dollar sum for the fund. Barra told legislators the fund will not be capped or limited.
After appearing before the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, Barra stood before TV cameras and answered a wide range of questions from reporters, reflecting on everything from GM’s victim compensation fund, to internal investigations, to whether GM is selling unsafe cars.
GM has recalled 20 million cars this year, but Barra said some of those cars are being recalled due to older defects and that GM is not selling cars to the public before they’re ready to drive safely.
“If you look across the board, these span a wide number of years for these vehicles, and there’s a wide amount of different issues. In some cases we’re simply saying we need to check and make sure a connection was made,” she said.
“We need to check over a long period of time in a specific use situation underneath the seat, did something fray. I think what we’re signaling to the public is we take safety very seriously. We’re gonna do the right thing regardless if it’s a vehicle where there’s been, you know, 20 made, or if it’s something that happened over a long period of time,” Barra said.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio