Email: news@knssradio.com
Studio Line: (316) 436-1330
Opinion Line: (316) 247-1334
A   A   A
 Follow 
Share

Posted: Tuesday, 15 April 2014 10:11PM

Loud Boom Startles Hutchinson Residents



HUTCHINSON, Kan.  -  A loud boom that startled some residents in south-central Kansas was caused when damaged fireworks that were being destroyed exploded.
 
Steve Showalter, owner of Showalter Fireworks, says employees placed three or four damaged fireworks in a burn pit early Tuesday, and they all went off at the same time.  
 
The boom from about a pound of black powder in the fireworks caused houses to shake and set off residential alarms, prompting several 911 calls to Hutchinson police and other agencies.  
 
Showalter says his business has used the same method to destroy damaged fireworks for years and no one was ever in danger. He says the lack of wind and high humidity were good conditions for carrying the sound from the explosion.

AP News
Filed Under :  
Topics : Disaster_Accident
Social :
Locations : Central KansasHutchinsonKansas
People : Steve Showalter
A   A   A
 Follow 
Share
04/15/2014 10:14PM
Loud Boom Startles Hutchinson Residents
Please enter your comments below.
Title :
Comment :