The Salina Journal (http://bit.ly/Wo7bAO) reports that Joshua Mast initially thought the smoke alarms he heard last month were an alarm clock sounding. The house looked normal from the outside but Mast went ahead and called 911.The person who lived in the home was out of town, so the landlord let firefighters into the house. Inside, firefighters discovered that cats had knocked over the resident's Christmas tree. It was lying on a floor furnace, smoldering and filling the house with smoke.
Firefighters were able to remove the tree and clear smoke from the house. The resident's two cats were unharmed.
Mast was recognized last week with a certificate.