TOPEKA, Kan. - More than 20 people were rescued from an apartment after a cooking fire broke out Saturday night in Topeka.
Crews were called to the blaze in the 1300 block of SW Harrison Street around 11:45 p.m.
WIBW reports heavy smoke and flames were visible from a second-story apartment. Several of the victims were treated at the scene for minor injuries. One was taken to a local hospital in stable condition.
The fire is being classified as an accidental cooking fire caused by unattended grease on the stove.
Damage is estimated at $50,000 total, $20,000 of that to content and $30,000 in structural damage.
The Red Cross and the Topeka Transit Authority assisted the 20 adults and 5 children displaced by the incident.