Posted: Wednesday, 11 July 2012 11:56PM
Non-Emergency Phone Lines Called A Success
WICHITA, Kan. - The non-emergency line set up for fireworks complaints is being called a success by county officials. Director of Emergency Communications, Randy Bargdill, told Sedgwick County Commissioners on Wednesday, he Fourth of July is the busiest night of the year that they can plan for.
"We logged 406 fireworks complaints into the cad system. Last year during this same time we processed, 353 calls. This year we were up 53 calls, that wasn't a big jump, it averages out to about two calls an hour. But all those calls were on the 911 system, these calls were not," said Bargdill.
On a regular day, the 911 system receives about 1,400 calls. During the 27-hour period from midnight July 4 to 3:00 a.m. July 5, the lines received 2,718 calls, including emergency and non-emergency calls.
Bargdill says they plan to staff the non-emergency line over the New Year’s Eve Holiday, the second-busiest night of the year that they can plan for.