WICHITA, Kan. - Fire investigators say a faulty power strip sparked a massive fire that destroyed a business and apartment in Delano. Crews were called to the scene at Bullwinkle Tattoo, 929 W. Douglas, around 2 p.m. Friday. They arrived to find heavy smoke showing from the building, and called in a second unit to assist in the blaze.
Several witnesses reported hearing an explosion shortly before the fire broke out, but officials said it was likely a smoke explosion. The blast is caused by a build up in a certain area, similar a dust explosion at grain elevators.
Employees inside Bullwinkle Tattoo managed to escape safely. No one else was hurt. The fire caused about $90,000 in damage.