WICHITA - The playground at Rae Woodman Elementary is unusable after a fire Friday night and the school district says kids playing with fireworks are to blame. USD 259 Communications Specialist Susan Arensman spoke with KAKE News saying a witness spotted kids lighting fire works near the playground and then saw them run away after the fire started.
Fire investigators found used fireworks all around the school yard and say one of them must have landed in the rubber mulch on the playground. Investigators say once the rubber caught fire, it burned fast and quickly spread to the plastic play equipment. The fire caused about $60,000 worth of damage. While the playground won't be safe to play on for the rest of summer, it should be fixed by the time school starts.
Fire investigators say they spoke with the Board of Education security, but the school's security cameras didn't catch anything that could help them find out who was playing with fireworks and started the fire.