WICHITA - A stove burner that was left on sparked a fire that gutted a south Wichita home Saturday. It happened in the 5500 block of south Emporia around four Saturday afternoon.
The Red Cross is providing a hotel room for the two people who live there because they won't be able to stay at their home, anytime soon.
“I'm just still thanking God that we got out of there. I’m just thanking God that I didn't leave,” house fire victim Kay Terrell said.
Kay Terrell says she was on her way out the door to her granddaughter's house, leaving her grandson sleeping at home, when a sound stopped her in her tracks.
“I heard a boom noise and I got up to go around the kitchen corner and all I could see was fire shooting up,” Terrell said.
Terrell says she turned around, headed for the door and yelled to wake her grandson up.
“I stomped on the floor because he was down in the basement. He was asleep and I told him come up, come up the house is on fire,” Terrell said.
“As crews showed up, we had heavy black smoke showing and flames coming out the front,” Battalion Chief Tom Carney said.
Both Terrell and her grandson made it out safely but nearly everything inside her home is gone. Family members went through and saved what they could. What they couldn't save now sits in a mangled, melted pile on her lawn. But Terrell says she's not worried about what's gone, she's grateful for what and who she still has.
“That's material stuff we can replace all of that I just can't replace a life,” Terrell said.
Fire investigators say the damage to the inside of Terrell’s home combined with her destroyed property makes for a total loss of about $140,000 in damage.