LAWRENCE, Kan. - Lawrence officials say the city's water is safe, despite an odd taste and smell. The city's utility department says tests found that a byproduct of dead algae is causing the problem. A spokeswoman for the department says the product does not pose any health concerns for people or animals.
The Lawrence Journal-World reports tests found elevated levels of geosim, a compound produced when algae die. Tests were taken from untreated water coming out of Clinton Lake. The city hopes the taste and odor issues will be less noticeable soon. But that is difficult to predict because future levels will fluctuate with the weather.
The city is adding carbon to its water treatment process but that does not completely solve the problem.