Dreamstime

Hays house fire possibly caused by electrical short

December 31, 2017 - 5:39 pm
Categories: 

HAYS, Kan. - A short in some Christmas lights may have caused a house fire to break out early Sunday morning in Hays. 

Fire officials said the call came in just before 3:00 AM in the 1300 block of Douglas Drive, which is in the southeast part of the city. Several citizens saw flames as they passed by the location and called 911.

Police were the first to arrive on the scene and were able to evacuate the house. No injuries were reported.

Hays Fire Chief Gary Brown says that the most probable cause of the fire was an electrical short in outside Christmas lights. Fire investigators say the fire started on the front porch and spread into the attic, before reaching the living room.

After nearly two hours, fire crews were able to bring the blaze under control. Chief Brown says the prompt actions by citizens calling 911 helped to limit the damage to the home.

Comments ()