DERBY, Kan. - Investigators say a faulty water heater is to blame for a house fire in rural Derby.
Crews were called to the fire in the 13900 block of East 70th Street South at around 12:30 p.m.
Smoke was visible when firefighters arrived on the scene. The fire intensified and crews were eventually forced to exit the home and fight the fire defensively. At one point, the home's floor collapsed.
All residents were able to make it out of the home safely. They were able to rescue many of their pets but some exotic birds are believed to have died in the fire. Investigators on the scene say they believe the fire may have been started by the home's water heater.