WICHITA, Kan. - It's now up to the Kansas Department of Transportation to decide if bike and pedestrian paths in Wichita and Derby will be linked together. At their regularly scheduled meeting Wednesday, County Commissioners unanimously approved sending an application to K-DOT seeking federal money to construct the Aviation Pathway.
If approved, federal transportation enhancement funds would cover 80% of the estimated $1.27 million cost while Sedgwick County and Derby would split the remaining 20%.
"The offer Derby made to participate in this project is very significant. And it's indicative of their desires to ride up to south Wichita," said Commission Chairman Jim Skelton.
The roughly 3 and ½ mile bicycle and pedestrian walkway would start at MacArthur Rd. and Englewood St. in South Wichita and end at Buckner and Commerce Drive in Derby.